Track Control & Monitoring:
1. The Track control section in the edit window enables you to do the following:
- Arm a track so that it’s ready to record.
- Solo a track.
- Mute a track.
- Change a tracks name.
- Change what is displayed in a track (waveform by default).
- Change the time base of the track (ticks & samples).
2. To change the name of a track simply double click the existing name (in this case the track is called Audio 1).
Here you can also write comments about the particular track.
3. To arm a track, click the white circle to turn it red.
There are two types of monitoring in Pro Tools, input monitoring and input only monitoring.
The difference between Input Monitoring and Input Only Monitoring is that Standard Input Monitoring will allow you to listen to the input at all times, except for during playback when listening to recorded audio.
Input Only Monitoring allows you to hear the Input at all times even when playing back recorded audio.
Both forms of input monitoring require the track to be armed.
Input only monitoring can be turned on by pressing ‘cmd + K’ and can be seen as the green light by the transport section.